Wednesday 11 March 2009

Why does it have to be such hard work?

The primary aim of this blog is to share ideas, thoughts and research from my newly started PhD. I will post some stuff I am working on and would REALLY welcome people's thoughts and opinions and insights. Just be true and honest and I can assure you that it'll very much help me as I seek to frame my own ideas.

If you are reading this it is almost certainly because you are someone I respect as a theologian/thinker and someone whose opinion I value. Welcome to my Blog and the journey it heralds and thank you in advance for your help with this.

I have also joined a brand new Church, the first one that Suzanne and I have been involved in together for a LONG time. Its really opened up a LOT of issues for us both and it is providing us with a great deal of 'food for thought' in terms of what Church is, how it works, how people interact, how folk do (or don't do) theology and, of course, it is also a place for us to worship and enjoy our God in, we hope, a meaningful manner...

We have been attending the Church (of the Baptist persuasion) since early January following our move to Lincolnshire in December. During this time I have very pointedly NOT spoken at any of our Bible Studies and I have also not told anyone that I have been a Minister and have had theological training. There are many reasons for this, most of them I suppose you can guess...

Anyway, last night that all changed and while Suze stayed at home with her brother I went to the study alone. There were only five of us there and we got into an informal discussion about the Church and various theological issues - like you do.

To cut a very long story short it struck me that so many of my interactions with others nowadays whether theological or not basically boil down to one central premise - that the person presently talking is usually ultimately saying:

"This is my opinion and its correct - I now want you to follow it too and if you don't then you're wrong..."

This, of course, is an over-simplification and yet it really resonates with me of late that very few people actually, truly want to discuss truth and love and God in any meaningful way and instead merely want to trot out their own well-worn and often ill-thought-out platitudes. I know that this sounds awfully judgemental - believe me its absolutey not meant to be, in fact its meant to be the opposite - a call within myself to speak with grace, truth and honesty and NOT CARE who's 'right' or 'wrong' but rather to explore the truth with others in a spirit of humility and hunger for reality.

I know that this takes time.

I am also HUGELY grateful for this wonderful Church of truly interesting, kind and gracious people.

Its just sometimes so hard to accept that True Talk is so hard to find.

Where do you get it? With whom? Do you appreciate it? How do you nurture it? Do you tell the person how grateful you are for it?

Oh dear, I appear to wittering on don't I? Please forgive me, I haven't ever done this before so its all a bit of an experiment to be honest.

I'd welcome ANY feedback on ANYTHING I write on here and I hope that in some small way that it might provide a bit of a forum for us to think and discuss and consider and reflect and to do some good theology that will lead to some good worship, that'll lead to some good lives led in the service of the Master...

Thanks for your patience and thanks for your support and help...

9 comments:

  1. Well, if I was a Charismatic I'd shout, 'Hallelujah!". I'm SO glad you're wrestling with some of the same issues as I am. I couldn't agree more that far too much of what is talked and swallowed as irrefutable truth is nothing more than the opinions of the speaker and, as such, needs to be questioned and challenged as necessary. So much of church falls down a huge credibility gap when examined by outsiders. What is worship all about? Why do we need to pray? Isn't the accepted culture of church more about St Paul than Jesus? O yes! I'm looking forward to this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little tip, keeping readers is not easy and we all have lots to read. You may want to answer the question posed in the comments of the last post concerning the subject matter of your diss. They'll be wanting to know if it is worth coming back (i.e. is relevant to them) ...

    Oh yes, and another tip. Read how successful blogs interact and post. Mine is not one of them! I'd recommend Chris Tilling, Nick Norelli or John Hobbins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of the problem, in my opinion sadly, is that there is an advertising problem.
    Take the Church nearest to me (on the main road through Sawbo Martyn). It attempts to attract worshippers through an ever changing poster campaign that has the constant theme of the Church representing stability, answers and an unwavering path for the future- in this life and the next.

    Any theological debate within that Church, or any other individual church group, runs the risk of removing that image of stability and ready-made answers and so debate is possibly feared as that image has become so important.

    Although my experience is limited so I may be well wide of the mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. The key to any theological enterprise is relationship - the attraction of this is sameness; the beauty of those who reflect our own perspectives - the potential turnoff is difference. This is especially the case when we encounter difference in a negative form. The secret of all of this would appear to be love - love that is discrimiating enough to spot what lacking in the perspectives of those with whom we are most comfortible, and potentially appealing in those we find to be too different. Some of my most fruitful thoughts have emerged as a variation on a theme derived from someone whose views I could easily despise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe the Beatles were right after all? All we really need is LOVE! I got an email from a friend this morning and it contained this:

    Heidi Baker was once asked to give a talk to some leaders and she stood there for a long time looking at them and pointing at her head saying "too big" then pointing at her heart and saying "too small." Then she sat down. I think she summed up a lot of Christians, especially of the evangelical persuasion.

    I, of course, wholeheartedly agree with your comments and, indeed, I aspire to being that kind of man. Its just rather difficult sometimes. I am absolutely NOT giving up on this highest-of-all-quests yet though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd count it a blessing to be able to even discuss theology at all with those I know. In my circles the conversations are always about the next "blessing" or what music/television show we shouldn't be exposed to, but I digress.

    I can't see a way around anyone in any conversation presenting their opinions as truth with the hope that others will agree. I look at it like this, if I believe it then I must think it's true (otherwise why believe it?). And if I think it's true then I want you to think it's true as well because I don't want you to be wrong. And you can see where it goes from there. A lot of the problem, I think, boils down to pride; it's easier to be resolute in wrongness and act as if we know then to simply admit that we don't know and perhaps need to look into something further.

    Nick Norelli

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes, 'I don't know' can be the most profound (and sensible) thing to say...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick,

    I guess I am glad to be able to discuss theology - I shouldn't take that for granted. Its just that the people I often discuss with will say stuff like, "I don't want to be theological", or "I am not a theologian but..." as if theology were a dirty word. Instead, the Spirit is important, or the teachings of some random 'prophet' from America (that is NOT an anti-American comment...)

    Patience, respect, grace and LOVE must come to the fore at these times...

    As to your comments on us holding the truth. I can see where you're coming from (I think) and yet I personally feel that all truth-claims would probably benefit from having an element of provisionality to them, "At the moment I believe that..." In this atmsosphere of humility I feel that we might be able to focus more on seeking the actual truth rather than giving in to the various distractions that exist during discussion (i.e. am I looking dumb? is she brighter than me? I don't want to be wrong! and so on ad infinitum...)

    Thanks for dropping by though and your comments are valued...

    ReplyDelete
  9. M

    "I don't know..." is arguably the wisest and most truthful thing that we EVER say...

    I like your style!

    ReplyDelete